Des travaux sur cette notice sont en cours. Pour cette raison, certains éléments pourraient manquer ou ne pas être fonctionnels.
- Notice descriptive – Brève
- Titre :
- Peter Dobush fonds [textual record, graphic material].
- Niveau hiérarchique :
- Fonds / Collection
- Référence :
- MG31-D255, R7978-0-8-E.
- Genre de documents :
- Art, Documents textuels
- Trouvé dans :
- Archives / Collections et Fonds
- No d’identification :
- Lien vers cette page :
Le lien correspond à la page Web qui décrit ce document en particulier. Contrairement au lien temporaire de votre navigateur, celui-ci vous permettra à l’avenir d’accéder à cette page et de la citer comme référence.
Pour établir un lien avec cette notice, copier-coller l’adresse URL à l’endroit désiré (dans un wiki, un blogue ou un document).
- Notice descriptive – Détails
- Fonds / Collection comprend :
7 description(s) de niveau inférieurVoir description(s) de niveau inférieur
- Date(s) :
- [ca. 1950-1980].
- Lieu de création :
- Sans lieu, inconnu ou indéterminé
- Étendue :
- 1.1 m of textual records.
473 drawings black ink, felt pen, black felt pen, pencil, pen and ink.
- Langue du document :
- Aquisition :
- Portée et contenu :
Fonds consists of papers which largely comprise Peter Dobush's records relating to his art collection; also included is a small amount of material related to his profession as an architect.
Fonds also includes numerous drawings and topographical sketches of various Canadian locations; political cartoons acquired by the donor from numerous artists; as well as architectural and landscape views.
- Créateur / Provenance :
- Biographie/Histoire administrative :
Peter Dobush was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, of Ukrainian parentage. He studied architecture at the University of Winnipeg, graduating in 1931. After working briefly in private practice, he spent the war years working for Defence Industries Ltd. in Montreal, which led to his design work for the atomic energy plants in Chalk River and Deep River, Ontario. He joined the National Research Council in 1946.
In 1950, Dobush returned to private practice and in 1955 he became a partner in the Montreal architectural firm Dobush and Stewart. Over the years, the firm took on various partners and its name changed to reflect this. Dobush, Stewart, Bourke in 1960, it eventually became Dobush, Hein and Associates, with offices in Montreal and Ottawa.
Peter Dobush was an avid art collector, collecting both historical and contemporary Canadian art. He bought both directly from the living artist and from commercial galleries, dealing with Gallery 1640, Artlenders, and Walter Klinkhoff in Montreal, Laing Galleries in Toronto, Richardson Bros. in Winnipeg and Robertson Galleries in Ottawa, among others. He donated some of his private collection to the Corner Brook Arts and Culture Centre (one of his design projects) in Newfoundland and another portion of his collection to the Winnipeg Art Gallery, including works by F.A. Verner, James Wilson Morrice, Ozias Leduc, Marc-Aurèle Fortin, the Group of Seven, David Milne, Jean-Paul Lemieux, L.L. Fitzgerald and Walter J. Phillips. He also collected political cartoons.
An accomplished draftsman, Dobush created many sketches himself on his travels, including ones of street scenes, landscapes and architectural views. He died in Montreal in 1980.
- Instrument de recherche :
Textual records: The finding aid is a file list. MSS2124
Drawings: Description available on line at item-level.
- Information additionnelle :
- Note général :
- Received in 1982 from Peter Dobush's widow through Professor Alfred Pinsky of Concordia University, Montréal, Québec.
- Note sur le classement :
- The papers have been arranged following Peter Dobush's own arrangement, in 5 series: "Bought Artists" Files; "Artists" Files; Scrapbooks and Clippings; Correspondence; and Subject Files. Note that although Dobush created separate series for "Bought Artists" and "Artists", theses two series contain very similar material and in some cases overlap.
- Groupes de documents reliés :
- The National Archives also holds some of the records of the architectural firm Dobush, Stewart, Hein (MG 28, III 119), as well as a collection of political cartoons donated by Peter Dobush and some of his own drawings.
- Vedette-matière :
- Source :
- Numéro de contrôle d'autres systèmes :
- No de contrôle reliés :
- 1978-032 PIC
- 1979-010 PIC
- 1981-040 PIC
- Pour réserver ou acheter des documents
- Conditions d'accès :
- Modalités d'utilisation :
- Sketches: No restrictions on use. Copyright: Estate of Peter Dobush. Crown copyright held on reproductions. Credit: National Archives of Canada.
Cartoons: No restrictions on use. Copyright is held by creator of cartoon. Credit: National Archives of Canada.