- The Art of the POSsible: Publishers Outreach Strategy 2017-2020 was approved in October 2017 with the objective of creating new and deepening existing relationships with Canadian publishers.
Its three pillars are:
- client relationship management,
- monitoring participation, and
- business intelligence.
- Results to date include establishment of regional portfolios, a new key performance indicator (KPI), service improvements including electronic receipts and claims, and 32 in-person outreach meetings to individuals and organizations in three regions, which resulted in additions to the collection.
- Implementation of the new integrated library system and trusted digital repository will enable significant improvements in services to publishers.
- Stemming from the POS, the action plan for 2019-20 is in approval.
- The focus from 2017 to 2019 has been on relationship building and raising awareness of the Legal Deposit Program, and establishing a reliable participation indicator. Library and Archives Canada (LAC) received positive responses and useful feedback from stakeholders.
- The rate of participation by active publishers (active is defined as those in receipt of federal funding), is the new KPI for Legal Deposit. A methodology piloted in 2018 reflects participation rates of:
- 79% for monographs
- 27% for serials
- 7% for music
- The above areas will be targeted for outreach in the future.
Key Public Messages
- LAC is working directly with the Canadian publishing community to foster maximum participation in the Legal Deposit Program.
- A new orientation towards client relationship management appears to be well received by the publishing community.
- The participation rate in the Legal Deposit Program measured in 2018-2019 was 79% (federally funded publications).
Alison Bullock, Director, Published Acquisitions Division