Step 1 - Determine how many copies to submit
Submit the following number of copies for all formats published (paperback, hardcover, etc.):
- 2 copies of all print materials (books, serials, etc.) when 100 or more copies are produced
- 1 copy for all print materials (books, serials, etc.) when 4 to 99 copies are produced
- 2 copies of every format published for all audiobooks
- 1 copy of each multimedia kit
Each submission will be added as a new publication; previous submissions will not be replaced by revised versions.
Step 2 - Complete the form
Monograph publications form [PDF 86 KB]
- Use this form to submit books, audiobooks, CD-ROMs, maps, multimedia etc.
- Print this form on letter-sized paper
Serial publications form [PDF 72 KB]
- Use this form to submit magazines, journals, newsletters, etc.
- Print this form on legal-sized paper
Step 3 - Mail the materials
Mail all the materials and forms at your expense to this address:
Library and Archives Canada
395 Wellington Street
Step 4 - What happens after you deposit
You will receive a legal deposit receipt by email. (For serials, a receipt is sent only after the first issue, or after a title change.)
Once items are received, Library and Archives Canada will
- create a bibliographic record describing the material, which appears in Voilà, the national union catalogue, and in Aurora, LAC's catalogue
- store one copy of every publication in every format in the preservation collection, where it is kept in a carefully controlled environment
- store the second copy in the service collection for public use
- inform the public that all materials are to be used in accordance with the Copyright Act
Questions? Contact the legal deposit team.