Library and Archives Canada (LAC) has been working on a pathfinder project to map and transform publisher-created metadata derived from ONIX data supplied by BookNet Canada into MARC 21 records.
The first batch of ONIX-derived MARC 21 records was loaded into the LAC catalogue database, in AMICUS, in late April 2010. The data will feed into the Cataloguing-in-Publication (CIP) process and/or LAC's acquisition process. These records have not been scrutinized by LAC cataloguers, nor have they been upgraded to meet usual cataloguing standards. If LAC uses one of these records as the basis for CIP or to catalogue its own holdings, the record will be upgraded and authenticated as usual for LAC products.
The records derived from publisher metadata may have punctuation, character set or diacritic anomalies resulting from the automated conversion process. The records also share these data elements:
- Encoding Level, Leader position 17, is set at Pre-publication
- Descriptive Cataloguing Form, Leader position 18, is set at non-ISBD
- Fill character is used in some of the 008 positions
- Canadiana number in field 016 is absent
- MARC organization code identifies BookNet Canada (CaOTBNC) as the source of the data
- Country of Publishing / Producing Entity Code
- Additional control number
- 099 6# $a OTBNC 0123456789
- Headline Style Capitalization is in the title field
- 245 first indicator is always coded as "1"
- 245 10 $a What's Cooking in Chemistry :$b How Leading Chemists Succeed in the Kitchen
- Height measurements may have decimal points
- General note
- 500 ## $a Description based on publisher data. This item is not in the LAC collection.
- Headings for creator and contributor names might include affiliation and role
- 100 1# $a [name] $u [affiliation] $4 [MARC relator code]
- 700 1# $a [name] $u [affiliation] $4 [MARC relator code]
- BISAC subject codes in the Subject Category Code field
- 072 #7 $a HUM000000 $2 bisacsh
- BISAC subject headings in the subject field
- 650 #7 $a HUMOR / General $2 bisacsh