We would be pleased to respond to your questions. You can submit them online, by fax or by mail. Response time can vary depending on the nature of your question and our workload.
Tips for writing an effective inquiry
- Provide complete contact information.
- Be precise. Specify the record or information you are looking for.
- If your inquiry concerns an individual, give the person's full name, dates of birth and death, places where the person lived or worked, etc.
- If you are sending your inquiry by mail, send photocopies only; never send original documents.
- If, in the past, you have consulted Library and Archives Canada (LAC) sources relating to your inquiry, please mention these sources so that we do not duplicate your research and recommend those sources again.
- If you have contacted LAC in the past (by mail, fax or online), please indicate the date and method used.
Use the Ask Us a Question Form to submit an online inquiry.
Use the Genealogy Inquiry Form if your inquiry is related to family history research.
To request an appointment with Library and Archives Canada staff members who can assist you in conducting further research use the Ask Us a Question Form.
If you have a question about someone who served in the military, see Requests for Military Service Files.
Library and Archives Canada
Client Services Division
395 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0N4
By telephone or TTY
1 866 578-7777 (toll free in Canada and the United States)
1 866 299-1699 (toll free in Canada)
Come to the desk in our reference services room on the second floor of 395 Wellington Street in Ottawa, and our reference specialists will help you find what you are looking for.
Reference by Appointment
For your convenience, appointments of up to 30 minutes can be booked with a Library and Archives Canada (LAC) reference specialist.
These appointments can take place:
- in person at 395 Wellington Street in Ottawa;
- by telephone;
- by Skype (Download Freeware).
Before you book an appointment:
To book an appointment:
Please use the Ask Us a Question Form. In the "Question" box, request your appointment and include the following information:
- your question
- a preferred date and time
- your preferred method (on-site appointment, Skype, or telephone).
- your telephone number (in case we have trouble reaching you by Skype or by email.)
- your Skype name (if you are choosing a Skype appointment).