Library and Archives Canada (LAC) is committed to the health and safety of its clients and employees. Effective Wednesday, January 19, all visitors to LAC’s service points will need to present a valid proof of vaccination and photo identification to gain access to the buildings.
Step 1. Overview
Library and Archives Canada (LAC) now offers limited seats by reservation at 395 Wellington Street in Ottawa for visitors who need to consult the collection and resources.
- In-person reference appointments are not being offered at this time; if you would like to arrange a telephone or a Teams appointment with a reference specialist, please submit your request using
Ask us a question.
Before visiting, you must make a reservation two weeks in advance using Eventbrite.
- Each Monday at 10 am ET, we will make a week of reservations available, two weeks in advance. Be sure to check our latest news and social media channels for the exact dates of release.
- Opening hours vary by room. Please see
Step 2 of Book your visit in Ottawa for more details.
- Duration of each reservation: three hours.
- You can book up to four reservations per week.
- You are guaranteed access only to the room that you reserve.
- You can book only one room per time slot.
Booking in advance helps us to prepare the material you request for your visit and enables us to meet public health guidelines.
Keeping you safe during your visit for information on which collections are available or not available before booking your reservation.
- You will need to request specific material for consultation. It will not be possible to browse the collections or request material while on site for same-day consultation.
- Please identify the material you wish to consult
before booking your reservation. If you need help with planning your research, finding materials and resources, or identifying the complete references that you will need to provide in advance, please use
Ask us a question.
If you have to cancel your booking, please give us as much notice as possible so we can better plan our spaces and material.