Self-Serve Copying

Library and Archives Canada (LAC) offers a self-serve copying service in its research facilities.

Photocopiers are available in some of the reference and consultation rooms allowing you to make copies from published documents (books, newspapers, magazines, etc.). For preservation reasons, archival documents (contained in cardboard boxes) fragile and rare books cannot be copied at the self-serve photocopier station.

Microform printers and scanners are available in the Microform Consultation Room allowing you to print or scan images from microfilm and microfiche. The scanned images can be downloaded to an USB key or CD. You have to supply your own USB keys or CD.

Camera: you can use your own camera in the research facilities to obtain copies of the collection material. You will have to complete a Self-Serve Photography Application and obtain the authorization from staff. This service is available during service and opening hours, however, authorization from a staff member can only be obtained during service hours.

Copying restrictions: three types of copying restrictions may apply to the holdings of LAC: legislative, contractual and institutional. Users are responsible to learn about them and to respect them.

User Agreement: for more information on the terms and conditions of the self-serve copying, please read the section Reproduction of LAC Collection of the User Agreement.

Hours: consult our page on service and opening hours for the use of photocopiers and microform printers and scanners and the photographic equipment

Prices and method of payment: a fee of $0.20 per page applies for prints done from the microform printers and photocopiers. This equipment is coin-operated and accept debit copy cards available at the service desk of Textual Documents Consultation Room.

There is no fee to make copies using your own camera or to download scanned images from microform scanners to your own USB key or CD.

Other copying services are also offered. Staff is available during service hours to answer your questions or you can submit your request online.
Date modified: