References do not always correspond to a single page document, but may relate to a file with as many as 1000 pages of documentation. The documents are not paginated and it is not possible for us to indicate how many pages a file may contain. For this reason, we recommend that you consult the file yourself or have a freelance researcher do the work for you. Complete files only are provided.
On this page
Applies only to certain published material: CAN $0.20/page - copying machines
Copies made by LAC staff
Applicable taxes will be added to the total cost. Orders mailed outside Canada are tax exempt.
- Regular Service -- CAN$0.40/page
- Rush Service -- CAN$0.80/page
Discounts for students and senior citizens
Proof of identification is required. Identification cards must be presented in person or a digital copy must be attached to your request.
Students: a photo identification card confirming full-time status as a student at an accredited educational institution.
Senior citizens (65 years of age and over): a document, preferably with a photograph, confirming date of birth (e.g.: driver's licence, birth certificate, provincial health insurance card, passport)
- Regular Service -- CAN$0.30/page
- Rush Service --- CAN$0.60/page
Printed copies 18 x 24 inches (reader-printer) of cartographic and architectural documents
Applicable taxes will be added to the total cost.
Orders mailed outside Canada are tax exempt.
- Regular service -- CAN$4.00
- Rush service -- CAN$8.00
Service standards and terms and conditions for textual and microform documents
The following factors affect the time it takes to process an order:
- the number of items ordered;
- the need to search for additional information;
- time required to register requests;
- delays of 36 to 48 hours for delivery of documents from off-site storage;
- time required by staff to identify requested documents; and
- the workload.
We reserve the right to limit the number of pages that we can process in 30 business days. Please submit your request well in advance of your deadline or choose the rush service.
Orders are processed within 30 business days of receipt.
Orders are processed within 10 business days of receipt and only if the following conditions are met:
- reference number is provided;
- copyright status and access restrictions have been established;
- access and copying restrictions do not apply or a letter of permission is included with the order;
- requested documents are available;
- "rush service" is indicated on the request; and
- consent to pay the additional surcharge of 100% is indicated on the request.
In-person requests: maximum of 100 copies per 24 hours
- under 1000 pages, within 10 business days
- 1000 to 6000 pages, within 30 business days
105-mm microfiches, maps and architectural drawings produced by LAC staff
- Under 500 copies, within 10 business days
- 500 to 1500 copies, within 30 business days
Handling fee: CAN$0.35
Visit Canada Post Website for prices for postage and handling
Method of payment
When your order from LAC is complete, a link to the Receiver General Buy Button (RGBB) will be sent to the email address you provided. You may pay the Receiver General by credit or debit card.
Cash, credit card (VISA, MasterCard or American Express) and debit card
Payment must be done by using the interdepartmental settlement system.
The process requires the following three codes:
- department number
- organization code
- reference code
Library and Archives Canada
395 Wellington Street
Telephone: 613-996-5115 or 1 866 578-7777 (toll free in Canada and the United States)
TTY: 613-992-6969 or 1 866 299-1699 (toll free in Canada)