What to submit
The following documents must be submitted for each public opinion research (POR) project:
- Narrative executive summary (as a separate file)
- Final report (including in the same file a full description of the methodology used and all appendices)
- All documents must be submitted in both English and French (as separate files)
- Executive summaries and final reports must be submitted in both PDF/A and web-accessible HTML5 formats
- Where relevant, research data must be sent in CSV (Comma Separated Value) format
- For the names of HTML files and any files referred to in the HTML, do not use spaces and letters with accents (à, é, etc.), special characters (#, &, etc.), punctuation marks (parentheses, apostrophes, periods, etc.), or foreign scripts (Chinese characters, Devanagari, etc.); we suggest using the POR report number in the file name (e.g. 123-45_report.html)
What not to submit
- POR projects that are not yet finalized (please do not send draft copies)
- Partial POR projects (please do not submit a POR project until all its components are available)
- Multimedia files of any type used in a POR project (e.g., digital video files; where relevant, please send storyboards instead)
- Proprietary digital file formats (this is in accordance with Open Government principles)
- Copies of POR in print. Federal organizations must submit electronic copies of their POR narrative executive summaries and final reports
Please contact email@example.com to discuss POR projects with pending deadlines.
Please visit the website of the Public Opinion Research Directorate at Public Services and Procurement Canada.
Submitting final reports
Please visit the LAC website for Public Opinion Research Reports and choose “Submit a report.”
Step 1: Read and agree to the terms of service for the use of the portal.
Step 2: Enter the POR Registration Number (listed on the first page of the POR contract), then specify what type of POR project is being submitted:
- English and French executive summaries and final reports in PDF/A and in accessible HTML5 formats
- English and French executive summaries and final reports in PDF/A and in accessible HTML5 formats with accompanying English and French research data in CSV (Comma Separated Value) format
- A POR submission related to, or an amendment of, a previously submitted POR project (please provide details in the text box below)
- Other (please specify in comments area below)
Step 3: Attach the electronic files:
- Create and submit a zip archive of your POR project. This ensures that all the digital files comprising your POR in web accessible HTML5 format are kept together and that their relational context is preserved at LAC
- Please note that LAC cannot provide guidance on the relational structure or HTML5 coding techniques for POR. Questions on how to structure your HTML5 or on creating zip files should be directed to your departmental Web Standards Centre of Expertise
Note: The maximum upload size is 200 megabytes. If you have any issues with attaching electronic files, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 4: Enter the required information about the POR project, including the name of the federal organization that contracted the POR, the name of the contractor, the title of the POR and the date of the contract.
Step 5: Enter your contact information and the name of the federal organization for which you are submitting your POR project.
Note: An acknowledgement of the POR submission will be automatically sent to the indicated contact person. This acknowledgement is not a submission approval. Notification of the approval of your submitted POR will be sent in a subsequent email.
Step 6: Enter any additional comments or information, where applicable.
Step 7: When ready, push the “Submit” button.
Responsibility for POR content
Federal organizations are solely responsible for the content, presentation, conformance, accessibility and quality of the final reports, as outlined in the Public Opinion Research Contract Regulations, the Directive on the Management of Communications, Appendix C: Mandatory Procedures for Public Opinion Research, the Standard on Web Accessibility, section 2.2, and LAC's POR submission instructions.
For information that must be included, please consult Report requirements and Government of Canada standards (Public Opinion Research Directorate).
For guidance on web accessibility, please consult the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat's Guidance on Implementing the Standard on Web Accessibility and the manager of your departmental Web Standards Centre of Expertise.
Note: Technical guidance is available from LAC at the time of document submission. However, LAC cannot make administrative changes of any kind to submitted POR projects. Please carefully review your finalized POR projects to ensure that all requirements are met prior to submission.
How to reach us
Federal organizations that require assistance for submitting their POR through this online form should contact:
Public Opinion Research Collection
Library and Archives Canada
550 De la Cité Blvd.
Gatineau QC K1A 0N4