Canadian Mail Order Catalogues is a database that includes catalogues from a number of different stores, both English and French, from the 1880s to the 1970s.
Included in this site are catalogues from Christie Grant, Dupuis Frères, Eaton's, Goodwin's, John Eaton, Nerlich, P.T. Legaré and Simpson's.
On this page
Eaton's Fall and Winter 1948-49
Source: T. Eaton Co. Catalogue [English edition]
Fall & Winter -- Toronto : T. Eaton Co., [188--197-] -- v. -- P. 1-574
© Sears Canada Inc. Reproduced with the permission of Sears Canada Inc.
- Simple keyword searching searches the indexes of all the catalogues in the database.
- You can limit your search to a particular catalogue by selecting a catalogue from the drop-down list provided.
- A successful query will return a search results page list. The results list provides the item number, description, title of catalogue, and page number.
- Click on a page number to view the image. Note: If the page field is blank, then the page from the catalogue was missing, damaged or may not be numbered.
- Underneath the image of the page, there are navigation arrows that allow you to move backwards or forwards through the catalogue, and links to take you directly to the first or last page.
A larger site on the history of mail order in Canada was produced in partnership with the Canadian Postal Museum at the Canadian Museum of Civilization and with Museum and Heritage Services, City of Toronto: Before e-Commerce.
Library and Archives Canada gratefully acknowledges the cooperation and contribution of the companies and individuals who provided permission for use of the following catalogues:
- The Army and Navy Department Store catalogues are reproduced with the permission of Army and Navy Department Store Limited.
- The Eaton's and John Eaton Co. catalogues are reproduced with the permission of Sears Canada Inc.
- The Dupuis Frères catalogues are reproduced with the permission of Josette Dupuis-Leman.
- The Nerlich & Co. catalogue is reproduced with the permission of A.W. Pat Brodeur, Cassidy's Ltd.
- The Simpson's catalogues are reproduced with the permission of Hudson's Bay Company.
We also gratefully acknowledge the financial assistance of the Department of Canadian Heritage, whose Canadian Cultural Online made this work possible.