George Carter Cossar operated boys' homes and a training farm in Scotland. Many of these impoverished boys were Irish Roman Catholics from Glasgow.
In 1910, he opened the Cossar Farm near Lower Gagetown, New Brunswick. The boys sent there from Scotland received agricultural training before being placed as farm labourers on New Brunswick farms. Some were also sent west to work. The farm was managed by Mr. and Mrs. John J. Jackson.
After becoming a doctor, G. C. Cossar served in the First World War, as did about 300 of the Cossar Farm boys.
In 1922, Dr. Cossar opened the Craigielinn Boys Farm near Paisley, Scotland, from which boys were also sent to New Brunswick, under the provisions of the Empire Settlement Act.
Approximately 1,000 Cossar boys were sent to Canada between 1910 and 1928. In 1928, the Cossar Boys' Training Farm became a provincial training centre for boys sent by the British government's Overseas Settlement Committee.
Research at Library and Archives Canada
Immigration Branch: Central Registry Files (RG76 B1a)
This series contains correspondence between the Immigration Branch and many of the sending organizations. The files contain a variety of documents relating to the activities of the organizations, often including annual reports, lists of children's names and medical certificates. The documents within each file are arranged by date. Microfilm reels can be viewed on site.
Most of the microfilm reels in this series are digitized on the free website Héritage. Enter the reel number in the search box, e.g. C-4715. If the reel is digitized, click on the reel title to see the images. The page contents are not searchable, but you can skip ahead through the images to find the volume and file of interest, then browse through the pages in that file.
File title: G.C. Cossar, Glasgow, Scotland. Cossar Farm, Lower Gagetown, N.B.
RG76, volume 567, file 811910, parts 1 and 2, 1909-1931, microfilm C-10646
RG76, volumes 567 and 568, file 811910, parts 2 and 3, 1931-1933, microfilm C-10647
RG76, volume 282, file 234636, 1926-1930, microfilm C-7831
Juvenile Inspection Reports (RG76 C4c)
Immigration officials created inspection reports as they carried out regular inspections of children brought to Canada by various organizations. These records date from 1920 to 1932; however, there are a few from 1911 to 1917 and after 1932. There is usually one page per child, showing name, age or date of birth, year of arrival, ship, sending organization, the names and addresses of employers and final comments, e.g. "completed, gone west".
The inspection reports are available on the following microfilm reels, which can be viewed on site. They are also digitized on Héritage, as explained in the section above. Note that the original records have not survived and the quality of the microfilm is poor. The records are arranged in alphabetical order, not by organization.
||EVANS, Arthur E.|
||EVANS, Arthur L.
||HENDERSON, Ann F.|
||HENDERSON, Charles H.
||SHAW, Walter A.
Research in Other Institutions
No other records have been located in Canada or Scotland.
See our Home Children 1869-1932 page for links to other research sources, websites and institutions in Canada and the United Kingdom.