Library and Archives Canada
To find out about other types of records for genealogy research, visit our Genealogy and Family History pages, including Topics.
For any of the following records that are not digitized, see how to access the records.
Yukon Territorial records (Record Group 91)
Library and Archives Canada holds microfilm copies of some records that are now in the custody of the Yukon Archives, including:
- Applications for liquor licenses, 1898–1901 (RG91-B-2, microfilm M-2883). For information about the records, read the "Scope and content" section of the series description. To find out if there is a file for an ancestor, use Collection Search. In the search box, enter the keywords "RG91," "liquor" and a surname.
- Applications for town lots in Dawson, 1898 (RG91-B-3, microfilm M-2882) To find out if there is a file for an ancestor, use Collection Search. In the search box, enter the keywords "RG91," "Dawson" and a surname.
- Applications for marriage licenses, 1901–1917 (RG91-B-4, volume 76, microfilm M-2883) These records are indexed by name in our Births, Marriages and Deaths Recorded in Canada database. See the section on the records for information about the records and how to order copies.
RG91 includes other records relating to a variety of subjects. The Registers and indexes series includes the following records:
- Patients transferred from Yukon to the British Columbia General Hospital for the Insane, 1899–1908
- Death register, 1898–1903
- Journal of court transcripts, 1898–1899
Those records are found in RG91, volumes 220 to 226, on microfilm M-2979 and M-2980. They are itemized in a paper finding aid (91-1), which is only available on site. Many of the records are indexed in Yukon Genealogy.
There are other records in RG91 that are indexed by name in our Collection Search database. In the search box, enter RG91 and a surname.
Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development (Record Group 85)
In the Northwest Territories and Yukon Branch series, there are some files relating to individuals. You can explore that series in Collection Search. In the search box, enter RG85 and a surname.
Royal Canadian Mounted Police: B Division: Yukon general administration records (Record Group 18)
This series includes records kept by the North-West Mounted Police (NWMP), since they administered the entry of people into the territory:
- Steamer passenger lists, inwards and outwards, 1899–1900 (RG18, volume 3084 [old volume 10], microfilm C-2153 and C-2154)
- Register of persons, inwards and outwards, 1898–1900 (RG18, volumes 3079 and 3080 [old volumes 5 and 6], microfilm C-2153)
- Register of persons incoming and steamer passenger lists, inwards and outwards, 1898–1899 (RG18, volume 3085 [old volume 11], microfilm C-2154)
You can search for names in Yukon Genealogy. In that database, references to the above lists are found in the Dawson City Museum Pan for Gold section. If you find a reference, you can use the date and other details provided to look for the actual record in the digitized microfilm listed above.
Department of Militia and Defence (Record Group 9)
The Yukon Field Force (1898–1900) was sent to the territory during the Klondike Gold Rush. The pay lists are not indexed by name, but they are available on digitized microfilm (RG9-II-F-7, volumes 11 to 13, microfilm C-4494, images 223 to 596).