Chief Beardy and Interpreter Baily waiting for the Commissioners. Taken during the Treaty Payments (Treaty 9).
About the Database
Library and Archives Canada (LAC
) holds an extensive, but not a complete, collection of historic Canadian Indian treaties, land surrenders, and related agreements. The collection contains documents that span more than 275 years, including a May 1680 seigneurial grant to the Jesuits in New France and a 1956 adhesion to western Treaty 6 (1876).
Users should note that this series is not a comprehensive collection of all historical treaties, surrenders and agreements between the Crown and First Nations. Many such records are held elsewhere, both within and outside the custody of LAC
. At this time, all 524 documents contained in this series have been digitized in black and white from microfilm copies and are searchable in this database.For more information in regards to this topic, consult the Indian Treaties, Surrenders and Agreements (archived) essay available in the Aboriginal Documentary Heritage Web exhibition.
The multi-fielded search screen offers a larger number of variables with which you can search the database, any of which can be used in combination. When using the fields in combination, you should note that the default search operator is "AND." Consult the Search Syntax
page for more information.
- Keywords: Enables you to search all fields alone or in combination.
- GAD Reference Number: Enables you to find a specific file based on the file number assigned by the Government Archives Division (GAD) of LAC.
- Volume: Enables you to locate an item based on the volume/box number cited in publications or elsewhere.
- Microfilm Reel Number: Enables you to retrieve all the records on the same microfilm reel (numbers were assigned by LAC).
Enter one or more search terms. Use the wildcard character "$" if you are not sure of the spelling (i.e. "Br$nt" for "Brant" and "Brantford").
When you have entered your search terms, click on "Submit." The number of hits found will be shown at the top of the results screen.
Search Results Screens
Your search results will be posted as a summary list. The results list contains the following fields:
- GAD reference number
- Indian Affairs' consecutive no.
- Aboriginal people(s)
- Aboriginal individual(s)
- Other party(ies)
- Type of document
- Specific purpose(s)
- Land involved
- Microfilm reel number
- ISN Number
- Associated Images: Images are available in JPG format. Some larger documents are also available in MrSID format. See the MrSID Help page for intructions.