The Indigenous Advisory Circle provides Library and Archives Canada (LAC) with advice to help guide and prioritize the Indigenous Documentary Heritage Initiatives.
LAC is committed to collaborating closely with Indigenous communities and representative groups in order to better understand and preserve Indigenous heritage, and to make it accessible in a manner that is historically accurate and culturally appropriate.
The members of the Indigenous Advisory Circle come from national, regional and community-based organizations. They provide advice on the various cultural perspectives of Indigenous Peoples.
LAC's Deputy Librarian and Archivist of Canada, and four other representatives from LAC, support the Circle and participate in its discussions.
Representatives from organizations
- Melissa Adams, Union of British Columbia Indian Chiefs
- Stephen Augustine, Unama'ki College, Cape Breton University
- Alice Beaudoin, Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg
- Radford Brewer (Sonny Day Rider), University of Lethbridge
- Tocasie Burke, Department of Culture and Heritage, Nunavut
- Maureen Cournoyea, Inuvialuit Regional Corporation
- Paula Daigle, First Nations University of Canada
- Victoria Deleary, Chippewas of the Thames First Nation
- Tracey Herbert, First Peoples' Cultural Council
- Brenda Jararuse, Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism, Nunatsiavut Government
- Rhoda Kokiapik, Avataq Cultural Institute
- Anita Kora, Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami
- Brenda Macdougall, University of Ottawa
- Terry V. Morin, Enoch Cree Nation Archives
- Sharon Parenteau, Louis Riel Institute
- Karon Shmon, Gabriel Dumont Institute
- Tyson Thomas, Maskekosihk Archives Department
Representatives from LAC
- Normand Charbonneau, Deputy Librarian and Archivist of Canada
- Johanna Smith, Director General, Public Services
- Kathryn Lagrandeur, Director, Private Archives on Social Life and Culture
- Del Jacko, Advisor, External Indigenous Engagement
- Hillary McLeod, Communications Advisor
Should you have questions or comments, please email us or ask us a question online.