Work on this record display is under way. Some features may be unavailable or non-functional.
- Record Information – Brief
- MacKenzie-Papineau Battalion collection [textual record, graphic material, cartographic material].
- Hierarchical level:
- Fonds / Collection
- MG30-E173, R2609-0-0-E.
- Type of material:
- Art, Maps & cartographic material, Photographs, Textual material
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Item ID number:
- Link to this page:
This link identifies the web page describing this particular record. Unlike the temporary link in your browser, this link will allow you to access, and reference, this page in the future.
To link to this descriptive record, copy and paste the URL where ever needed (wiki, blog, document).
- Record Information – Details
- Fonds / Collection includes:
7 lower level description(s)View lower level description(s)
- [ca. 1930-1986].
- Place of creation:
- No place, unknown, or undetermined
- 1.16 m of textual records.
855 photographs b&w and col.
24 prints (postcards, poster).
- Language of material:
- Scope and content:
Collection consists of four series of textual records, 1935-1986, pertaining to the MacKenzie-Papineau Battalion's activities during the Spanish Civil War. The first series contains documents compiled by Victor Howard (Hoar); the second series, the papers of Edward Cecil Smith; the third series, the records of the Friends of the MacKenzie-Papineau Battalion; and the fourth series, the papers of Walter E. Dent. These papers, which were compiled by the Veterans of the MacKenzie-Papineau Battalion, contain both historic and contemporary material relating to Battalion members. The material was collected for the Veterans of the MacKenzie-Papineau history project.
Collection also contains graphic material including 855 photographs relating to the MacKenzie-Papineau Battalion in the Spanish Civil War and one poster, 1936-1938, entitled ,"Iammistia", depicting La Pasionaria (?) by J.G. Gould, published by the Canadian Committee for a Democratic Spain.
- Creator / Provenance:
- Biography/Administrative history:
During the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939), more than 1300 Canadians, primarily recruited by the Communist Party of Canada, volunteered to serve with the Spanish Republican forces in their fight against the combined fascist Nationalist forces of Spain. Initially many of these Canadian combatants served with American units, such as the Abraham Lincoln or George Washington Battalions of the English-speaking XVth Brigade. On 1 July 1937, the Mackenzie-Papineau Battalion was formed as a distinct Canadian unit (60th Battalion) of the XVth International Brigade, attached to the 35th Division of the Spanish Republican Army. The Battalion participated in five significant campaigns and many other minor engagements, and earned itself an admirable reputation as a military unit.
The Government of Canada had maintained a non-interventionist policy and passed legislation making it illegal for Canadian citizens to participate in the Spanish conflict. Upon returning home, members of the MacKenzie-Papineau Battalion began a protracted campaign to gain official recognition from the Canadian Government for their service in Spain. Instrumental in that cause was the Veterans of the MacKenzie-Papineau Battalion, an organization established in 1946 by a number of battalion survivors. Common usage treats all Canadian volunteers in Spain, whether with the Battalion or not, as "Mac-Paps."
- Finding aid:
306 photographs, 1936-ca. 1939 (accession 1971-093 NPC), Vol.1-2: Alphabetical index by name; FA-069
306 photographs, 1936-ca. 1939 (accession 1971-093 NPC). FA-177
Photograph portraits of members of the Mackenzie-Papineau Battalion previously attached to file cards containing information on individual members of the Mackenzie-Papineau Battalion (accession 1971-093 NPC): Photocopies of portraits and file cards arranged alphabetically;
- Additional information:
- Custodial history:
- The first volume of this collection was presented to the National Archives of Canada in 1971 by Victor Howard (Hoar) of East Lansing, Michigan. The materials were compiled in the preparation of his book entitled The MacKenzie-Papineau Battalion.
Volumes 2-6 of this collection, the Walter E. Dent papers, were presented to the National Archives in 1987, by Walter E. Dent of Toronto. These were originally accessioned as part of MG 30 E 506, but have since been placed in this collection, MG 30 E 173.
The materials were compiled by the Veterans of the MacKenzie-Papineau Battalion in preparation for their book entitled Canadian volunteers: Spain, 1936-1939.
- Availability of other formats note:
- 306 photographs, 1936-ca. 1939 (accession 1971-093 NPC): Copy negatives available: C-74966 to C-74974, C-67460 to C-67469, C-67450 to C-67459, C-67435 to C-67449.
- Associated material note:
- A woven cloth souvenir belt (Spanish republican colours): Transferred to the Canadian War Museum.
- Related material:
- Related material is also in MG 10, K 2, the Mackenzie-Papineau Battalion fonds.
- Subject heading:
- Associations, institutions, etc. - Canada, 1938-1939
- MacKenzie-Papineau Battalion - History, [between 1935 & 1986]
- Spain - History - Civil War, 1936-1939 - Casualties (Statistics, etc.), [between 1936 & 1939]
- Spain - History - Civil War, 1936-1939 - Maps, n.d., 1937-1938
- Spain - History - Civil War, 1936-1939 - Participation, Canadian, [between 1937 & 1938]
- Spain - History - Civil War, 1936-1939 - Participation, Foreign, [between 1937 & 1938]
- Spain - History - Civil War, 1936-1939 - Personal narratives, Canadian, n.d., 1937-1938
- Spain - History - Civil War, 1936-1939 - Societies, etc., 1938-1939
- Spain - History - Civil War, 1936-1939 - Veterans, [between 1937 & 1968]
- Veterans' writings, Canadian, n.d., 1937-1938
- Other system control no.:
- Related control no.:
- 1971-093 NPC
- 1981-148 NPC
- 1989-293 DAP
- Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
- Photographs: No donor restrictions. Various copyrights on items less than 50 years old. Copyright expired on items more than 50 years old. Credit: Name of photographer / National Archives of Canada / Copy negative no.
Postcards, poster (accession 1989-293 DAP): Copyright: Expired. Credit: National Archives of Canada / Copy negative no.