Des travaux sur cette notice sont en cours. Pour cette raison, certains éléments pourraient manquer ou ne pas être fonctionnels.
- Notice descriptive – Brève
- Titre :
- J.S. Woodsworth fonds [textual record (microform), graphic material]
- Niveau hiérarchique :
- Fonds / Collection
- Référence :
- MG27-IIIC7, R5904-0-1-E.
- Genre de documents :
- Documents photographiques, Documents textuels
- Trouvé dans :
- Archives / Collections et Fonds
- Numéro d'article :
- Lien vers cette page :
Le lien correspond à la page Web qui décrit ce document en particulier. Contrairement au lien temporaire de votre navigateur, celui-ci vous permettra à l’avenir d’accéder à cette page et de la citer comme référence.
Pour établir un lien avec cette notice, copier-coller l’adresse URL à l’endroit désiré (dans un wiki, un blogue ou un document).
- Notice descriptive – Détails
- Fonds / Collection comprend :
11 description(s) de niveau inférieurVoir description(s) de niveau inférieur
- Date(s) :
- [ca. 1868-1976].
- Lieu de création :
- Étendue :
- 3.67 m of textual records.
299 photographs : b&w.
- Langue de document :
- Portée et contenu :
The fonds consists of series of correspondence; subject files; diaries and notebooks; lectures and speeches; reports of the Bureau of Social Research; C.C.F. mailing lists; printed material; souvenirs; personal papers; and scrapbooks.
The fonds also contains photographs of the Woodsworth family; the political activities of J.S. Woodsworth; and portraits of J.S. Woodsworth and Lucy Staples (later Mrs. J.S. Woodsworth).
- Créateur / Provenance :
- Biographie/Histoire administrative :
James Shaver Woodsworth, leader of the C.C.F., Member of Parliament, was born in Etobicoke Township, Ontario, and was educated at Wesley College, Winnipeg, the University of Toronto and Oxford University. He was ordained in the Methodist Church in 1896 and served as an assistant pastor, 1902-1908, and director of All People's Mission, 1908-1915, in Winnipeg, but resigned from the ministry in 1918. From 1915-1917 he served as director of the Bureau of Social Research for the governments of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta. In 1921 he was elected to the House of Commons as an Independent Labour candidate for Winnipeg North Centre, and he continued to represent that riding until his death in 1942. He was one of the founders of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation in 1932 and its leader until his resignation in 1940.
Woodsworth was the author of 'Stranger within our gates', 1908, 'My neighbour', 1910, and 'Studies in rural citizenship', 1915. He destroyed most of his personal papers in 1940.
- Instrument de recherche :
Textual records (Électronique) The finding aid consists of a list of files and scrapbooks; a nominal index to the correspondence in volumes 1-4; a conversion list showing the relationship between the original volume numbers and those put in place during the re-organization of the collection in 1991/1992. MSS0159 (90:Ouvert) http://data2.archives.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000038.pdf
Textual records (Microforme) Microfiche : 1 fiche (1 copy) MSS0159 (90:Ouvert)
- Information additionnelle :
- Note général :
- Copy of photograph, 1909, depicting Forward Movement Exhibition at the Congress of Lay Missionaries, Massey Hall, Toronto, Ontario (accession 1972-298 NPC): This image was loaned to the National Archives of Canada and copied. The original was returned to the lender. The original may still be with MSS - see accession record.
The scrapbooks (vols. 27-34) were transferred in 1952 from Woodsworth House. The correspondence and memoranda were received between 1953 and 1976 from his daughters, Mrs. Angus MacInnis and Mrs. R.S. Staples. The letters to Dr. C.B. Sissons were donated by Victoria University, Toronto, in 1955. The letters from Woodsworth, 1900, were donated by Mrs. G.L. Osberg of Ottawa in 1966.
- Note sur le classement :
- Textual records: The textual records were reorganized in 1991-1992, and much of the material was assigned new volume numbers. A conversion list is found in the finding aid. The volumes are now numbered 1-17 and 27-34; there are no volumes 18-26.
- Note sur les autres formats physiques disponibles :
- Available on microfilm: reels C-9160, C-9161, C-11062, C-13074 to C-13082 and H-2272 to H-2280.
Copy negative available: C-50061.
- Note sur l'étendue originelle :
- Transferred to the Public Archives Library.
Transferred to the Museum of Man, 24 July 1975.
- Vedette-matière :
- Source :
- Numéro de contrôle d'autres systèmes :
- No de contrôle reliés :
- 1954-079 NPC
- 1954-080 NPC
- 1972-298 NPC
- 1973-225 NPC
- Objet(s) numérique(s) (1)
- Pour réserver ou acheter des documents
- Conditions d'accès :
- Modalités d'utilisation :
- Original photographs (NPC accessions 1954-080, 1973-225, 1954-079): No donor restrictions. Various copyrights on items less than 50 years old. Copyright expired on items more than 50 years old. Credit: Name of photographer / National Archives of Canada / Copy negative no.
Copy of photograph (accession 1972-298 NPC): National Archives of Canada does not provide copies, they must be obtained from the lender. Copyright: For item still in copyright, copyright must be established by the holder of the original. Credit: Name of photographer / National Archives of Canada / Copy negative number.
Textual records: Volumes 1-4 and 28-34 have been withdrawn from circulation circulation; researchers must consult the microfilm.