This site contains information regarding the cataloguing standards, practices and policies of Library and Archives Canada and its predecessor the National Library of Canada. On May 21, 2004 the National Library of Canada and the National Archives of Canada became Library and Archives Canada. Recent changes are posted in the News and Announcements Section.
- Library and Archives Canada ceasing use of MARC field 440 Series Statement/Added Entry
As of December 1, 2008, Library and Archives Canada has been using MARC field 490 for recording all series statements in newly created records and, if applicable, 8XX fields for series added entries. Library and Archives Canada has ceased to create field 440 which was made obsolete by the MARC community in June 2008. Field 440 will exist in records created prior to December 1, 2008 as LAC has not changed field 440 to field 490. The Canadian Union Catalogue will continue to accept and load records with field 440.
December 1, 2008
- CONSER standard record practice - LAC implementation [PDF 31 KB] [RTF 445 KB]
June 1, 2007
- Library and Archives Canada's implementation of the 13-digit ISBN [PDF 32 KB] [RTF 450 KB] (revised)
May 22, 2007
- Change in DDC segmentation policy on full DDC numbers [PDF 70 KB] [RTF 448 KB]
March 1, 2006
- LAC Decision on Series Authority Records
Although LAC supports the goal of more cost-effective cataloguing and is undertaking its own review of policies, LAC has decided not to follow LC's recent decision to cease the creation of series authority records. The results of a costing analysis and consultation with the Canadian library community and with the public service areas of LAC indicate that the benefits of controlled series access points and authorities outweigh the cost of their creation.
January 1, 2006
- Metadata Framework for Resource Discovery
September 9, 2005
- Library and Archives Canada Metadata Service Receives Award for Achievement in Technical Services [PDF 23 KB]
September 27, 2004
- Canadian Metadata Forum (archived)
The Canadian Metadata Forum was held in September 2003 to bring together participants from Canadian metadata communities to discuss and share information on a wide spectrum of metadata applications and topics of common interest.
September 20, 2003
- Newfoundland name change to Newfoundland and Labrador: Official abbreviations [PDF 26 KB]
June 1, 2003
- Yukon Territory name change to Yukon [PDF 105 KB] [RTF 439 KB]
April 1, 2003
- Survey on the Use of NLC MARC Records in Canadian Libraries: Executive summary
December 31, 2002
- Change to subject heading practice regarding québécois(e) headings [PDF 187 KB]
October 1, 2002
- Implementation of Pinyin at the National Library of Canada
November 1, 2000
- Nunavut: Revisions to Canadian Subject Headings, Library of Congress Classification, Dewey Decimal Classification and to the MARC Format
June 30, 1999