Library and Archives Canada (LAC) provides access to the AMICUS database for libraries, researchers and the public. Users can perform interlibrary loans, download records and personalize searching. The AMICUS Interlibrary Loan User agreeing to this agreement is acting in the name of or on behalf of his/her library and has all necessary authorizations to act and bind his/her library to the Agreement.
- Library and Archives Canada is committed to respecting the privacy of individuals using AMICUS. Library and Archives Canada stores searches performed on AMICUS for approximately 370 days. This information will not be used for reasons unrelated to AMICUS, and will not be given to others.
- The Interlibrary Loan Contact agrees to notify Library and Archives Canada of any changes in the information contained in its registration.
- The Interlibrary Loan Contact agrees to notify Library and Archives Canada of any required changes in the AMICUS services provided under this User Agreement.
The User agrees to acquire and maintain, at his/her own expense, all equipment necessary to use the system.
The User agrees to assume responsibility for compliance with the Copyright Act.
The User agrees not to knowingly make machine-readable AMICUS records available to third parties for commercial purposes.
The Interlibrary Loan Contact agrees to take all reasonable and necessary precautions to ensure that access to the AMICUS system is limited to those persons authorized by the Interlibrary Loan Contact.
The Interlibrary Loan Contact agrees to inform Library and Archives Canada of any announcement or publicity by the User concerning the AMICUS services which are the subject of this User Agreement. Library and Archives Canada agrees not to refer to the User, or any of his/her organizations or facilities, in any manner, or through any medium, whether written, oral or visual, for advertising, marketing, promotion, or publicity without express written consent of the User.
Deletion of accounts for security
The User agrees to make responsible use of the system. Library and Archives Canada may, in its sole discretion, close an account where irresponsible use of the system is discovered.
Deletion of accounts for inactivity
Library and Archives Canada may delete any account left inactive for over one year.
Account closed by User
A User may request to have an account closed. The request must be made by the User in writing, via fax, email or regular mail.
Choice of Law
This Agreement shall be interpreted in accordance with the laws in effect in the province of Ontario and in the country of Canada.
- The User agrees that Library and Archives Canada shall not be responsible for any interruption of service or communications breakdown, or for any failure of computer software or programs.
- The User agrees that Library and Archives Canada shall not be liable to Users of AMICUS services for any inaccurate information contained in the database, nor to any person who may have received such information from Users. Users agree not to provide any information received from the NL through use of the AMICUS services to a third party unless such third party has agreed to accept all risk of relying on such information.
- The User agrees that the AMICUS services are provided in accordance with the laws of the province of Ontario and the country of Canada. Responsibility for compliance with the laws of any other country is assumed by the recipient of the AMICUS services.
The User shall indicate agreement with the terms and conditions of this User Agreement with Library and Archives Canada by submitting a Registration Form indicating the User's intention to be legally bound. This User Agreement shall take effect upon receipt by the User of an email message providing official access to AMICUS, and will remain in force until terminated by the User or Library and Archives Canada.
Amendments and notices
The User agrees that any notice or amendment to the service will come into effect upon posting on AMICUS News on the web. The User also agrees that if Library and Archives Canada decides to provide notices or amendments through another method, Users may be notified of that method by posting on AMICUS News.