Public services are generally provided in downtown Ottawa:
395 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0N4
Much of our collection has not been digitized and can only be viewed on-site.
Some material must be accessed at one of our other locations. Some material can be loaned to other institutions.
Use the Search All tool to find information on a specific topic or part of the collection or Discover the Collection to browse the digital collections and exhibitions.
There are other LAC facilities in the National Capital Region and throughout Canada. Some buildings are for staff offices, while others are dedicated to the management and preservation of the collection.
Library and Archives Canada (LAC), 395 Wellington Street, Ottawa
- Access ramp in the front
- Automatic door openers in all areas open to the public
- Two elevators providing access to all areas open to the public
- Evacuation chairs which are designed for people with disabilities and allow them, with the help of staff, to use the stairs in an emergency
- Wheelchair accessible pay phones on the ground, second and third floors
- Accessible public washrooms for people with disabilities
- Computerized workstations available for people with disabilities (adjustable table and large screen)
- Computerized workstations available to people with a visual impairment (Magic screen enlarger and Jaws software; Braille keyboard available on request)
- Magnifying glass available on request
- Viewers capable of enlarging characters of books and microfiches for people with visual impairments
Some of LAC's websites were created with technology that is now outdated and over time we will be working to bring all of our web pages to current accessibility standards.
Our Web Accessibility at Library and Archives Canada page describes the accessibility features already implemented.
Public Transit, Parking and Lodging
Bus stops for both the City of Ottawa's OC Transpo and the City of Gatineau's STO are within walking distance of 395 Wellington St.
With OC Transpo, you can take any bus travelling on Wellington, Albert, Slater, Queen and Bank streets in Ottawa.
1500 St. Laurent Boulevard
Ottawa, ON K1G 0Z8
Telephone: 613-741-4390 (bus routes and fares)
With the STO, you can take any bus travelling on Wellington Street in Ottawa.
Société de transport de l'Outaouais
111 Jean-Proulx Street
Gatineau, QC J8Z 1T4
Telephone: 819-770-3242 (bus routes and fares)
Paratransit services are provided by the City of Ottawa's OC Transpo and the City of Gatineau's STO public transit systems.
A paid parking lot is located at 395 Wellington St., Ottawa, on the west side of the building.
- Some parking spots are reserved for persons with disabilities who hold the necessary permit. More information.
There are also paid public parking lots and metered street parking nearby.
There are several hotels, inns and bed and breakfasts in the vicinity of our main building at 395 Wellington St.
If you are planning a stay in Canada's National Capital Region and want more information, please contact:
Canadian Culture Online (CCO)
Canadian Culture Online (CCO), was a program of the Department of
Canadian Heritage. Its objectives included that of connecting Canadians with the country's diverse heritage through an integrated approach
to the digitization and accessibility of key collections from Canada's federal, cultural heritage institutions.
We also invite you to visit the following federal government websites, partially funded by CCO: