What to submit
The following documents must be submitted to Library and Archives Canada (LAC) in separate files for each public opinion research (POR) project:
- A narrative executive summary in English in web-accessible HTML5 format;
- A narrative executive summary in French in web-accessible HTML5 format;
- A written final report in English in web-accessible HTML5 format;
- A written final report in French in web-accessible HTML5 format;
- All of the above files (#1–4) must also be submitted in PDF/A format, but LAC does not require these to be web accessible;
- All final reports must include a full description of the methodology used and all applicable appendices within the same digital file;
- Where relevant, research data should be sent in CSV format (Comma Separated Value, which almost any database software can export).
Please do not submit
- POR projects that are not yet finalized (please do not send draft copies);
- Partial POR projects (please do not submit a POR project until all its components are available);
- Multimedia files of any type used in a POR project (e.g., digital video files; where relevant, please send storyboards instead);
- Proprietary digital files formats of any type (in accordance with Open Government principles, please utilize file formats that the general public can open; file types that are not accepted include SPSS data);
- Copies of POR in print. Federal organizations must submit electronic copies of their POR narrative executive summaries and final reports.
Please contact us to discuss POR projects with pending deadlines.
Content of POR narrative executive summaries and final reports
According to the Public Opinion Research Contract Regulations (SOR/2007), finalized POR projects must include the following elements:
3. In respect of public opinion research that is for the exclusive use of Her Majesty, the report must include
(a) on the covering page, the title of the project, the name of the person who entered into the contract, the contract number and the award date;
(b) a narrative executive summary consisting of, at a minimum,
- (i) a statement of the research purpose and objectives,
- (ii) a summary of key findings, except where the person who entered into the contract is not responsible for the design, development of the methodology and analysis of the research,
- (iii) a brief description of the methodology used, and
- (iv) a statement as to the extent to which the findings can be extrapolated to a broader audience;
(c) for quantitative research, appendices containing
- (i) a full set of tabulated data,
- (ii) sample size, sampling procedures and dates of research fieldwork,
- (iii) if applicable, weighting procedures, the confidence interval and the margin of error,
- (iv) if applicable, the response rate and method of calculation,
- (v) the research instruments used, and
- (vi) all other information about the execution of the fieldwork that would be needed to replicate the research initiative; and
(d) for qualitative research, appendices containing
- (i) the research instruments used and, if applicable, the test material, and
- (ii) all other information about the recruitment or execution of the fieldwork that would be needed to replicate the research initiative.
See also: Requirements for submitting public opinion research final reports.
Submitting narrative executive summaries and final reports to LAC
Please visit the LAC website for Public Opinion Research Reports and choose “Submit a report.”
Step 1: Read and agree to the Library and Archives Canada Terms of Service for the use of the POR Access Portal.
Step 2: Enter the POR Registration Number (listed on the first page of the POR contract), then specify what type of POR project is being submitted:
- English and French executive summaries and final reports in accessible HTML;
- English and French executive summaries and methodological reports in accessible HTML with accompanying research data in Comma Separated Value (CSV) format (no SPSS files, please);
- A POR submission related to, or an amendment of, a previously submitted POR project (please provide details in the text box below);
- Other (please specify in comments area below).
Step 3: Attach the electronic files:
- Create and submit a zip archive of your POR project. This ensures that all the digital files comprising your POR in web accessible HMTL5 format are kept together their relational context is preserved at LAC.
- Please note that LAC cannot provide guidance on the relational structure or HTML5 coding techniques for POR. Questions on how to structure your HTML5 or on creating zip files should be directed to your departmental Web Standards Centre of Expertise.
Note: The maximum upload size is 200 megabytes. If you have any issues with attaching electronic files, please contact us.
Step 4: Enter the required information about the POR project, including the name of the federal organization that contracted the POR, the name of the contractor, the title of the POR and the date of the contract.
Step 5: Enter your contact information and the name of the federal organization for which you are submitting your POR project.
Note: An acknowledgement of the POR submission will be automatically sent to the indicated contact person. This acknowledgement is not a submission approval. Notification of the approval of your submitted POR will be sent in a subsequent email.
Step 6: Enter any additional comments or information, where applicable.
Step 7: When ready, push the “Submit” button to submit your POR, and the information you entered, to LAC.
Responsibility for POR content
Federal organizations are solely responsible for the content, presentation, conformance, accessibility and quality of their POR executive summaries and final reports, as outlined in the Public Opinion Research Contract Regulations, the Directive on the Management of Communications, Appendix C: Mandatory Procedures for Public Opinion Research, the Standard on Web Accessibility, section 2.2, and LAC's POR submission instructions.
For guidance on web accessibility, please consult the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat's Guidance on Implementing the Standard on Web Accessibility and the manager of your departmental Web Standards Centre of Expertise.
Note: Technical guidance is available from LAC at the time of submission. However, LAC cannot make administrative changes of any kind to submitted POR projects. Please carefully review your finalized POR projects to ensure that all requirements are met prior to submission.
How to reach us
Federal organizations that require assistance for submitting their POR through this online form should contact:
Public Opinion Research Collection
Library and Archives Canada
550 De la Cité Blvd.
Gatineau QC K1A 0N4