Prisque LaCree

Service file

Prisque LaCree (1894-?) was a First Nations soldier of Cree and Métis heritage. He was born in 1894 in Touchwood, Saskatchewan. Over time, his family moved about the province. When the war started, LaCree was making a living as a farmer in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, while his father lived over 400 kilometres away in File Hills, a First Nations community that had been colonized as a farming colony. LaCree enlisted at Prince Albert on December 22, 1915, and became part of the 188th (Saskatchewan) Infantry Battalion. He contracted pulmonary tuberculosis while at training camp in January 1916, which resulted in a six month period of convalescence. He recovered, however, and sailed with the unit to England in October 1916. In May 1917, he was discharged due to being physically unfit. He survived the war.

Service Record Details

Attestation Paper 1

Date of Birth: 1894 (Touchwood, Saskatchewan)

Date of Attestation: December 22, 1915 (Prince Albert, Saskatchewan)

Age at Enlistment: 20 years

Height: 5 feet, 8 inches

Weight: 132 pounds

Description: Dark complexion, brown eyes, black hair. Roman Catholic.

Home Address: Prince Albert, Saskatchewan

Trade: Farmer and lumberman

Married: No

Details of Family: Father—Pierre LaCree, living in File Hill, Saskatchewan.

Next of Kin: Father (Pierre LaCree)

Branch of Service: Infantry

Theatre of War: Not applicable

Casualties / Medical History

Attestation Paper 2
  • June 6, 1916 – While in Manitoba, LaCree contracts quinsy (a complication of tonsillitis) and is hospitalized for 12 days. (Page 12)
  • October 4, 1916 – It is recommended that he be admitted to the camp's tubercular hospital. (Page 19)
  • April 1917 – A medical chart shows that he had been coughing and that he was still suffering from considerable dyspnoea [sic] (shortness of breath). Typewritten notes describe his condition in detail and identify its probable cause: "Exposure in the barracks at Prince Albert in January 1916. brought on bronchitis. Recurrence at Camp Hughes in June 1916, from which the present condition is supervened." He is treated for six weeks at Camp Hughes, and then at the Frank Sanitarium. He is expected to have a serious health problem for the next two years and be unable to work for at least six months. He is recommended for discharge based on his physical condition. (Pages 13-15)

Interesting Details from the Service Record

  • May 2, 1917 – In light of his medical condition, he will be considered for a pension by the Board of Pension Commissioners. (Page 18)
  • November 15, 1919 – His War Service Gratuity of $70.00 is paid (in trust) to D.C. Doyer, Indian Agent, Balcarres, Saskatchewan. (Page 29)

The London Gazette

  • No mentions found

Military Medals Honours and Awards

  • No records found

Census Records

  • No records found
Date modified: