CANADIAN BROADCASTING CORPORATION, TELEVISION: VIDEOTAPE RECYCLING
General access conditions for collection
- 1. Copied from 68 x 2" videotapes loaned by CBC and returned to CBC.
Ceremonies Marking the Hundredth Anniversary of Confederation
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
- narrator, Stanley Burke; Adrienne Clarkson
- Stanley Burke and Adrienne Clarkson narrate coverate of the ceremonies marking the 100th anniversary of Canada's confederation (1867-1967). On this occasion, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is addressed by the Senate and the House of Commons at an outdoor joint session on Parliament Hill, Ottawa, Ontario.
- Footage begins with Her Majesty and Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, bidding goodbye to eight representatives of various religions following an inter-faith service. The royal party then mounts the outdoor dais led by the Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod, Major Charles Lamoureux; "God Save the Queen" is sung in English and French. The Mace Bearer leads the Speaker of the Senate, the Honourable Sidney J. Smith, to the platform, where he reads an address passed by the Senate and Commons, an engraved copy of which is presented to Her Majesty. The Mace Bearer then leads the Speaker of the Commons, the Honourable Lucien Lamoureux, to the platform, where he tenders the Commons address of loyalty to Her Majesty and presents her with an engraved copy. Her Majesty thanks the speakers of the Senate and House of Commons; refers to the past 100 years of Confederation as a remarkable chapter in Canada's history; and notes the contribution of ordinary as well as special Canadians, such as the late General Georges P. Vanier, to the growth of this country.
- An aerial view of the crowd singing "O Canada" is followed by footage of the royal motorcade passing the Centennial flame and waving goodbye to a cheering crowd. From the Peace Tower, the sound of the carillonneur's special tribute accompanies the royal departure.
- Portions of the ceremony are in French. <40mn>
- CANADIAN HISTORY, CONFEDERATION, 1867
- CENTENNIAL CELEBRATIONS
- RELIGIOUS SERVICES
- SPEECHES, ADDRESSES, ETC.
- VISITS OF STATE
- CANADA. PARLIAMENT. HOUSE OF COMMONS
- CANADA. PARLIAMENT. SENATE
- BURKE, STANLEY
- CLARKSON, ADRIENNE
- ELIZABETH II, QUEEN OF GREAT BRITAIN, 1926-
- LAMOUREUX, CHARLES ROCH
- LAMOUREUX, LUCIEN
- PHILIP, PRINCE, CONSORT OF ELIZABETH II, QUEEN OF GREAT BRITAIN, 1921-
- SMITH, SIDNEY JOHN
- VANIER, GEORGES-PHILÉAS
- 1. The donor's list indicates the item title as "Confederation Ceremonies" although the above title appears on screen.