Work on this record display is under way. Some features may be unavailable or non-functional.
- Record Information – Brief
- Western Treaty No. 6 - Articles of Treaty No. 6 Concluded between Her Majesty The Queen and The Plain & Wood Crees and other Tribes near Carlton and near Fort Pitt - IT 296.
- Hierarchical level:
- RG10. Volume/box number: 1847/IT296. Microfilm reel number: T-9940.
- Type of material:
- Textual material
- Found in:
- Archives / Collections and Fonds
- Subset of Collections and Fonds:
- Treaties, Surrenders and Agreements
- Item ID number:
- Link to this page:
This link identifies the web page describing this particular record. Unlike the temporary link in your browser, this link will allow you to access, and reference, this page in the future.
To link to this descriptive record, copy and paste the URL where ever needed (wiki, blog, document).
- Context of this record:
- Record Information – Details
- Place of creation:
- 10 sheets ; 44 x 56 cm (17-1/2" x 22").
- Language of material:
- Additional information:
- General Note:
- GAD Reference number: IT 296;
Indian Affairs' consecutive no.: 157A
Aboriginal people(s): Plain and Wood Cree and the other Tribes of Indians;
Aboriginal individual(s): Chiefs Mistowasis, Ah-tuh-ukkoop, Pee-yahn-kah-mihk-oo-sit, Ah-yah-tas-kum-ik-im-um, Kee-too-wa-haw, Cha-kas-ta-pay-sin, John Smith, James Smith, Chip-ee-wayan, Wah-wee-kah-nickkah-oo-tah-mah-hote, Kah-mee-yis-too-way-sit, Kah-pay-yuk-wahsk-oo-num, See-see-kwahn-is, Wee-kas-koo-kee-say-yin, Pee-yas-ee-wah-kah-we-cha-koot, James Seenum, Oo-nah-tah-mee-nah-hoos, See-kahs-kootch, Tus-tuk-ee-shwahs, Pee-way-sis, Kee-ye-win, Kin-oo-say-oo and others;
Other party(ies): Commissioners Hon. Alexander Morris, Lt. Gov., Hon. James McKay and Hon. William Joseph Christie for Queen Victoria.
Type of Document: Treaty involving extinguishment of aboriginal title and surrender of land. Docket title: "Articles of Treaty No. 6 Concluded between Her Majesty The Queen and The Plain & Wood Crees and other Tribes near Carlton and near Fort Pitt".
Specific purpose(s): Surrender of land in consideration of reserves to be set aside in proportion to 1 square mile to a family of 5, a one time payment of $12 per person, maintenance of schools, annual payments, hunting and fishing rights, etc. - See document.
Land involved: 121,000 square miles covering the central areas of Saskatchewan and Alberta - See document.
Form: Manuscript original
- Source of title:
- Alternative designation: title supplied from contents.
- Physical description note:
- --1 red wax seal; 1 wide blue ribbon tied in a bow; rectangular shaped piece of paper and cloth material with the ribbon and seal fixed upon it and located on the upper left corner of page 1 possibly used to bind sheets together.
- Physical condition note:
- --tissue-laminated; edges dirty, torn and with small pieces missing; 2 straight parallel holes in each sheet possibly used in binding sheets with the ribbon; page 19 has the upper left corner missing; it also has the title of document on it; possibly this sheet was previously the first/top sheet and the wax seal, ribbon and binding material were fixed to it.
- Dates of creation note:
- Date: 1876/08/23 and 1976/08/28 and 1876/09/09
- Exhibitions note:
- Exhibition title: Protecting Rights in Canada, Venue: Canadian Museum for Human Rights, Winnipeg, Manitoba; 2015.09.20 ¿ 2016.08.20 (first page with wax seal & ribbon only).
Exhibition Title: Treasured Memories 5: A National Archives of Canada Exhibition. Curator: Michel Anne Crawley, National Archives of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario; 2001.01.22 ¿ 2001.11.12 (RG10 - Western Treaty No. 6 - IT 297)
Exhibition title: Protecting Rights in Canada, Venue: Canadian Museum for Human Rights, Winnipeg, Manitoba; 2018.10.22 ¿ 2019.08.12
- Related material:
- IT 297 ¿ Parchment copy of treaty
IT 298 ¿ Copy of Treaty
IT 299 ¿ Adhesion 9 and 21 August 1877
IT 300 ¿ Adhesion 25 September 1877
IT 301 ¿ Adhesion 19 August 1878
IT 302 ¿ Adhesion 29 August 1878
IT 303 ¿ Adhesion 3 September 1878
IT 304 ¿ Adhesion 18 September 1878
IT 305 ¿ Adhesion 2 July 1879
IT 328 ¿ Adhesion of 1882
IT 494 - IT 501 ¿ Adhesions of 1944, 1950, 1954, 1956
Indian Treaties and Surrenders (Coles¿ 1971 Reprint): Vol. II, pages 35-44.
- Digital Object(s) (24)
- Ordering and Viewing Options
- Conditions of access:
- Credit: Library and Archives of Canada
Restriction on use: In order to protect the fragile originals, the microfilm copies or digitized images of these records must be consulted rather than the originals